Friday, November 23, 2007

Walking on Water


Happy Thanksgiving everyone! It's a bit strange to be in a country where Thanksgiving Day is just another work day. But on Sunday we will have a big Thanksgiving meal at our house with about 20 people. It'll be very traditional and my French friends love experiencing an American Thanksgiving.

It's hard to believe that a week ago I was in Columbia, Missouri having just spent a weekend in Cape Girardeau as well. It all was so much fun and so amazing to see how God loves each and every person and continues to meet each one right where they are. What a sweet love story we each are living, some of just don't realize it yet!

After speaking to a group of women last Thursday morning, I sat in on one of their small group discussions. They are working through the book, "If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat" by John Ortberg. Great book by the way. I made a comment to them that if I were writing a book right now it would be, "If You Fall Out of the Boat, You Might as Well Walk on the Water". I was kidding, of course....or at least I thought so.

As I thought about that later I thought about how many of us end up walking through situations and circumstances that we never would have agreed to walk through. I know for my life, the things that people notice most about what I live are things that I NEVER would have agreed to. Sometimes I feel more like I'm going down into the water rather than walking. But what seems to amaze everyone the most is that I'm standing and experiencing God's amazing peace and grace through it all. I never saw myself as a missionary, a speaker, or a candidate to mother a handicapped child. I never in a million years would have gotten out of the boat and walked on water through those things. But God nudged me (OK, PUSHED me) out of the boat of safety, the familiar, and what I was willing to do. The greatest part of all is that HE is carrying me and sustaining me as I continue to learn to walk, with His grace and peace, on the water!

I pray that you too will know His peace and grace through whatever water you find yourself walking on...whether you bravely got out of the boat of comfort and safety or fell out or was pushed out. His grace is sufficient and you will find Him to be faithful with every step and even when you feel the water rising dangerously high!

Bisous!
Angela

5 comments:

Household Executive said...

It was great to meet you at Take TWO last Thursday! What a great story God has given you...you share it so beautifully! As my husband and I were reflecting about what we were thankful for this year he brought to my attention that many of the trials that we have experienced this year have turned out to be huge blessings. At the moment it doesn't feel that way, but on the other side the growth in relationship with Christ has made the trials we've experienced things we would never take back! I know this is true for you as well! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

CrazyDeb said...

I can just picture you with your friends and family in your home for Thanksgiving! You will make everyone feel so welcome and special. Your time in the water has been such a blessing for so many as difficult as times have been, still are, and will be. What a lesson for the rest of us - to take life's circumstances and use them for the good. Love you!

Lady Di said...

My daughter recently moved to Cape to attend SEMO, and I am so thankful that she took the initiative to sign us up for the women's conference you led at Cape La Croix. What an incredible two-day event at one of the most awesome churches I've had the pleasure of visiting. Your message truly left me feeling closer to God, and one statement in particular really hit home with me: Crisis may not be the obstacle that we think it is; it may be God's vehicle. Our family has suffered unspeakable hardships over the years, and I have found that even the most unimaginable tragedies are often gifts from God. You mentioned that people are especially watching Christians when times are hard to see if their faith is real. Well, for anyone watching you, there can be no doubt. Thank you for sharing your Christian journey with us and for being such an obedient, inspirational ambassador for Christ!

amazedbabysister said...

I am amazed by your insight into life. Thank you for being willing to fall into the water and to rise up and walk (with God's help of course) to show others God's power and grace. You really do amaze me.

Remember Who You Are said...

Thanks so much for leaving comments!! At least I know someone's loggin on!! Love to you all! Angela